Bile duct adenoma: a case report and literature review
© Chen et al.; licensee BioMed Central Ltd. 2014
Received: 20 June 2013
Accepted: 7 April 2014
Published: 26 April 2014
Bile duct adenoma (BDA) is a comparatively rare disease clinically, therefore, there are relatively few reported cases about it both in China and abroad.
Herein, we present a 51-year-old man, diagnosed preoperatively with enhanced-contrast abdominal computed tomography, as having a nodule in the left hepatic. The patient underwent a liver tumor resection, and the histological examination revealed bile duct adenoma (BDA).
BDA is an extremely rare benign tumor, which is difficult to distinguish BDA from hepatocellular carcinoma definitely preoperatively, surgical resection is needed as a way of treatment.
Bile duct adenoma (BDA) is a comparatively rare disease clinically, therefore, there are relatively few reported cases about it both in China and abroad. Herein, we report a case of BDA as well as a literature review, thus presenting a preliminary analysis on BDA.
BDA is a rare case of benign intrahepatic tumor which is mostly found in patients between the age of 20 to 70 years old, averaging 55 years old, with no significant gender difference in the incidence of this disease . As the patients often do not present with clinical symptoms, this tumor is usually discovered by accident during a physical examination or an autopsy. It is the same case with the patient of this study: he was found to have liver occupying lesions unexpectedly when undergoing a chest CT examination.
Although BDA is defined as a benign tumor, it still has the possibility of carcinogenesis. Hasebe et al. reported a case in which BDA developed into cholangiocarcinoma . Through imaging examination, it is very hard to distinguish BDA from hepatocellular carcinoma definitely. Even when conducting a frozen section examination, it is still difficult to identify it from cholangiocarcinoma or liver metastasis. Therefore, surgical resection is still needed as a way of treatment and local excision is also feasible. Following surgical resection or local excision, patients have a good prognosis, and so far there is no report about tumor recurrence in the literature.
BDA is an extremely rare benign tumor, which is difficult to distinguish BDA from hepatocellular carcinoma through imaging examination .Its main character of pathological is a large quantity of proliferated bile ducts, which can be observed in the lesion,They are CK7, CK19, and EMA immunoreactive, and are p53 and Ki67 negative. Surgical resection is needed as a way of treatment.
Written informed consent was obtained from the patient for publication of this case and for the accompanying images.
- Allaire GS, Rabin L, Ishak KG, Sesterhenn IA: Bile duct adenoma. A study of 152 cases. Am J Surg Pathol. 1988, 12: 708-715. 10.1097/00000478-198809000-00007.View ArticlePubMed
- Tajima T, Honda H, Kuroiwa T, Yoshimitsu K, Irie H, Aibe H, Taguchi K, Shimada M, Masuda K: Radiologic features of intrahepatic bile duct adenoma: a look at the surface of the liver. J Comput Assist Tomo. 1999, 23 (5): 690-695. 10.1097/00004728-199909000-00008.View Article
- Semelka RC, Hussain SM, Marcos HB, Woosley JT: Biliary hamartomas: solitary and multiple lesions shown on current MR techniques including gadolinium enhancement. J Magn Reson Imaging. 1999, 10: 196-201. 10.1002/(SICI)1522-2586(199908)10:2<196::AID-JMRI14>3.0.CO;2-R.View ArticlePubMed
- Maeda E, Uozumi K, Kato N, Akahane M, Inoh S, Inoue Y, Beck Y, Goto A, Makuuchi M, Ohtomo K: Magnetic resonance findings of bile duct adenoma with calcification. Radiat Med. 2006, 24: 459-462. 10.1007/s11604-006-0044-z.View ArticlePubMed
- JIang C, Che J: A case of intrahepatic bile duct adenoma. J Diagn Pathol. 1998, 5 (2): 117-
- Zhang L, Xiang L, Zhou Q, Zhou SQ: The clinical and pathological characteristics of intrahepatic bile duct adenoma. Chin J Hepatobiliary Surg. 2002, 8 (8): 512-
- Jorge A-S, Hoang MP, Murakata LA: A typical bile duct adenoma, clear cell type. Am J Surg Pathol. 2001, 25 (7): 956-960. 10.1097/00000478-200107000-00016.View Article
- Hasebe T, Sakamoto M, Mukai K, Kawano N, Konishi M, Ryu M, Fukamachi S, Hirohashi S: Cholangiocarcinoma arising in bile duct adenoma with focal area of bile duct hamartoma. Virchows Archiv. 1995, 426: 209-213.View ArticlePubMed
This article is published under license to BioMed Central Ltd. This is an Open Access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly credited.